Sunday, January 29, 2017

ESL

Newcomer ESL Curriculum


This past week, we have had two newcomers join second grade. One student is from Mexico and the other is from El Salvador. Both students lack English language backgrounds and are struggling academically.  In the past, we have used a newcomer binder as our curriculum.  We are finding that this material is out of date and may not be appropriate for second grade students.  I have been researching newcomer programs and I am struggling to find a program that will meet the needs of our students.  What programs/curriculum do you use for your newcomer students?



4 comments:

  1. I teach high school ELLs, but I usually start by having the newcomers use picture dictionaries and online translation to create their own bilingual vocab lists of essential basic words for home, school, and the community... then slowly phase them in to the slightly more complicated activities my other beginner students are doing. I love seeing other ELL bloggers, and I hope you'll keep slicing on Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been struggling with this as well, as I have a 4th grader who moved here at the beginning of the year from Mexico. She works with our ELL teacher during our Reading block and during intervention, but she is with our class the rest of the day. I've really struggled to meet her needs academically with the content that we're teaching, even with the Spanish that I'm able to use to communicate with her. We do have a SS textbook for her that's in Spanish, but it's hard to help her with the content in Spanish while I am teaching the rest of the class in English. I often feel like I am not meeting her needs and not teaching her the material adequately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you find what you need. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just got a new to English student from China. Seeing him happy at this point feels like a great start, but I am lucky to have a great EAL coteacher with me part time.

    ReplyDelete